Sunday, October 25, 2009

Basic Macaron recipe


I thought it'd be good to lay out my preferred recipe for making macarons. I swear by the recipe stated by Syrup and Tang, and I think this recipe has yielded the best results so far. This is my base recipe for all the macarons I make except the chocolate ones, for which I refer to David Lebovitz's recipe, which by far is the best of its kind!

I will keep adding some tips and recommendations, and on basically what makes it right and more so lining out what it takes to mess it up, which believe me has happened more than once! It is better to follow one standard recipe and then to add different flavours, colours and other powders (like green tea, lavender, etc)

GET
  • 65 grammes almond powder 
  • 80 grammes icing sugar 
  • 50 grammes egg whites 
  • 40 grammes sugar 
  • Pinch of salt

SET
  • Take the almond powder and the icing sugar, pass it through a mixer. 
  • Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to begin with, and gradually add the sugar. Beat untill stiff peaks are formed.


  • Sift the almond flour and sugar mixture over the beaten eggs. 
  • Fold in the powder with a light yet firm hand. Mix in circular motions until the powder is well incorporated. Take a small portion of this mixture in a bowl and add the colours or flavourings. Then incorporate well into the main mixture. 
  • Mix well only untill the mixture is smooth, shiny and glossy. 
  • Spoon batter into piping bags and pipe small (or large) circles on a baking sheet.
  • Bake at 150°C for 10-11 minutes.
  • Cool the sheet once out of the oven and gently release the macaron shells from the paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment